Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween!

Today, we loaded the boy and his Halloween costume into the car and drove over to his Godparent's house.

There, we dressed him up so that he could go out trick or treating for his first time!

I made his costume this year. I have this photo of his father at about the same age that I used for inspiration.

I found the pattern on sale for $2 at Joann. The fabric was surprisingly hard to find. It wasn't until about my 7th or 8th fabric store that I located it, and even there it was on clearance!

I didn't bother making the hat because I knew the boy wouldn't wear it. I left off the rick rack on the sleeves because I forgot to buy some and didn't feel like going out again. I did add the pom poms on the front because I liked them.

We put his shoes on with some skull socks because a boy has to keep some of his street cred, you know.


The pattern was really hard and made me say a lot of bad words. It was sized for a ten year old child, and then you had to add length to make it for an adult and subtract length for a toddler. I had a hard time figuring out from where I was supposed to subtract, and I'm not very good at taking measurements. The legs ended up a little short because I didn't take his diaper into account properly.

We just went up and down the street where they lived because I really didn't think he needed that much candy. Even though we just did that one block and not every house was handing out stuff, he still got a good amount of loot.

I made him a treat bag from the leftover fabric. I didn't have a pattern for that, but I've done a simple lined bag before so it wasn't hard. He refused to carry the bag though, so I had to do it. He did a good job of saying "trick or treat" when prompted (although sometimes all that came out was "treat!") and also saying "thank you."

I think he liked getting to touch everyone's cars in the driveways better than getting candy. One guy was dressed as a pirate complete with a real live parrot and that was a hit too. He didn't even get scared of the animatronic monsters in one woman's driveway! He did such a good job for it being his first time out.

When we got back to the house he had a sucker while we watched some football and the grownups helped themselves to some of his candy. Not a bad end to the night!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

That's so adorable! It turned out fantastic. Lollipops are the favorite in our house too!

4:47 AM  
Blogger Katy said...

Aw, I think my mom used that pattern for my brother in the 80's, too! So cute!

6:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great job on the costume! You have to frame both the pictures together somewhere...I'm sure you'll come up with some wonderful display for them. :) Looks like Bubba scored in the candy section!

8:13 AM  
Blogger Sweet Simplicity said...

You did a great job!! He looks adorable!

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cute! You did a great job :)

9:09 AM  
Blogger Danea Burleson said...

He looks fantastic Sara, you did a great job!!

9:50 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

WOOOWWIE HE looks so freakin' cute!!! You did an AMAZING job! That is the cutest thing I have ever seen.

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Photobucket Photobucket

©2008 Sara Madrigal Fehling. All rights reserved.

Please do not take my photos without permission.

Contact me! sara.fehling@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails